Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Do you "get" music??

Today is a good day!
I love having good days!  Who doesn't?


And it's the little things.  The smallest things make me the happiest, and I think it's true for most people.  Unfortunately, I think that sometimes we get so caught up in everyday life, stress, whatever and we don't realize the small things that make such a difference.  


Music to me is one of those small things that has the ability to make my mood go from bad to good so quickly.  I love that music plays such a great role in my life.  I sometimes meet a person that doesn't listen to music, or maybe does, but doesn't "get it."  It always saddens me.  I honestly feel bad for these people.  


I was driving today, running errands, nothing too exciting.  But it was a nice day and I absolutely love driving, by myself, with my music.  The day was nice enough to have the windows cracked, and the sun was nice & bright making it warm enough to be comfortable in the car with the window open.  I love days like this.  


I'm a radio person.  A BIG FAN OF RADIO.  I get that there are great CD's out there that are great, I own them.  I get that you can customize your IPod to play only songs you like, I have that too.  But to me, sometimes,  radio is the best.  Especially on a day like today.  I can switch stations and be overwhelmed by song after song.  The great ones I haven't heard in a while,  the ones that bring back all those memories.  The switch from a new song that is great, to an old song from high school, to a song from when you were a kid, to a song that makes you think of your best friend, and then...a song to make you think of your grampa.  You get the point!


 I heard a song today and I truly smiled like a little kid through the whole thing.  It wasn't so much the song, it was the memories that the song brought back.  I remember dancing my little butt off watching my favorite bands play that song.  I thought of friends I haven't seen in a while, friends that were once part of the weekend party crew!  The girls that went to see every show of the certain cover bands that we LOVED. (And that mind you are still amazing and going strong, but I just sadly haven't seen in a while!) I love seeing live bands.  It's probably my favorite thing to do if I go out at night!     My friend Liz came to so many of these shows with me.  Never in Vegas and Darik & the Funbags were the best.  Liz & I would go to the bars, dance all night, bouncing around, having fun, enjoying every minute.  And certain songs bring me right back to those days.   She is amazingly fun and there was never drama when we went out.  We went to have a good time.  And we did!  And I'm so happy that I can be brought back to that time so quickly, just by pressing a button on the radio and having a certain song come on.


I also heard one of those great songs that makes you want to drive fast!  AC/DC Thunderstruck was the one this time, but almost all Motley Crue has the same effect on me.  And so, so many others....but I won't make an insane list!  Thunderstruck came crashing through my speakers, filling my car with amazing sounds, and making me tap my foot, shake my head, and "air drum" on the steering wheel.  It was great. (I looked super cool! LOL) Except the damn person in front of me going 25....what the hell....Thunderstruck is NOT a 25 mph song buddy!  (He just didn't get it!)


Lastly, I pulled up to Wal-Mart...windows still down, lovingly singing along..."I waaannnttt yooouuuuu to wwannnnnttt mmmeeeee"  I was so into it.  I didn't quite realize that I pulled into a spot, with the windows down, singing along (cuz I sound AMAZING in my car!), and there was a car next to me.  And they were waiting for somebody....3 of them to be exact.  With their windows down too!!  Oops!  But I got out of the car and they looked over, and said, "It's a great song!"  I just shook my head and said, "Yes, it is, sorry about that....I was just really into it!"  And I was so happy that they simply said, "It's what you do to a song like that!"   They get it.  THEY GET MUSIC.   I don't know them.  But I already like them! 


I love people that "get" music.  People that know a song can make the day better.  People that know a song can randomly come on and suddenly you realize you are crying.....because of the emotion of the song....maybe the memories.....good or bad.  People that hear a song and have to start dancing around no matter where they are, be it the car or the grocery store, because it's that good! 


To all of you music lovers....rock on....and when you see me in my car, singing along and dancing like an idiot by myself.....I expect you to give me the nod, be jealous even,...wondering what I'm listening to that's so great!


You know you do this too!!  What song does it for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment